RSS Feed

Rodney Rothman’s “Early Bird”

3

May 22, 2008 by gaughin

Hey, I read a book!

Actually, I tend to read about a book a week, and don’t know why it never occurred to me to keep track with them here.

Mr Rodman’s a TV writer, with histories at both Letterman and The Daily Show. At age 28 (he’s now 32, I think), he took some time between writing gigs, and moved into a retirement community in Florida, where he was younger than the average resident by about 45 years. He stayed there 6 months. This book records the lessons and events of that half-year. It’s really a very funny book, and I recommend it to any adult.

It’s probably worth noting that this book came at the recommendation of a really solid radio interviewer named Jesse Thorn, who manages a podcast empire, with The Sound of Young America being the most prominent of the bunch. He’s a very funny interviewer, gets great guests (most frequently fringe comics.) He’s responsible for turning me onto to works of George Saunders, and if for nothing else in this lifetime, I owe him big for that.

3 comments »

1. FOT Josh says:

I really like this book, Dave, and I heard about it from Jesse also!

2. Martha Merrill says:

Dave, your review has spurred me to run to Union Ave Books and purchase this book. Interesting stuff.

3. gaughin says:

Yay! They have it in the library system, if you can’t find your own copy.