RSS Feed

Katie Holmes

0

December 2, 2007 by gaughin

Katie Holmes

I come not to praise the Queen of the Galactice Confederacy, but I’m not ready to bury her either. Katie Holmes gets a lot of rippage for her bad fit in Batman Begins, and it’s true, when she tries to play the femme fatale type, as she did in that film, and to a lesser degree in Thank You For Smoking, she can come off looking pretty silly. But if you’ve seen her playing roles that are more human than archetype, as she does in Go, and The Wonder Boys, and especially the vastly underrated Pieces of April (which features a sickly sweet ending that should have been so out of left field that it scuttled what came before it, but the crowd of 5 or 6 people I saw it with all agreed that it actually pulled a potential Hallmark card moment off with almost a sort of grace, by showing the moment, but then ending the movie rather than trying to explain or dwell on it,) there are clearly parts for which her solid middle-American sweetness is perfect for. Or was, until Theta Maximum 5002 got hold of her.

Ten best roles

10) Phone Booth 9) The Singing Detective 8) Abandon 7) First Daughter 6) The Gift 5) DIsturbing Behavior 4) Go 3) Wonder Boys 2) Batman Begins 1) Pieces of April

Percentile rating

75.28

0 comments »