RSS Feed

Lisa Jane Persky

6

June 6, 2009 by gaughin

Lisa Jane Persky

There’s this incredible radio show, The Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling. You can hear it every week, on Tuesday nights from 8PM to 11PM east coast time, streamable at wfmu.org.

Associated with this great show (where you may hear me very occasionally as dave from knoxville) is a message board, friendsoftom.com, a sort of hosting site for the Scharpling (and Jon Wurster, who is featured on the show for 30 minutes to an hour almost every week) fan base. People who frequent this site, along with hundreds (maybe even thousands) of others who don’t have time to spend on a website self-identify as FOTs. This week, on a 6-hour marathon edition of the show, longtime character actor Lisa Jane Persky outed herself as a FOT.

She was charmingly self-deprecating, pointing out that IMDB-Pro had her ranked in the 13000’s in terms of current prominence in the film-making world. But she’s FOT, and that makes her first (OK, at least in a top tier) in many FOT’s hearts.

I have to admit, I did not know the name, but she’s had a long career of high-profile micro roles, along with a handful of bigger parts, and the minute you see her, I can almost guarantee you will realize you have seenĀ  her in multiple films. In tribute to her, I am going to undertake a systematic march through her career highlights, pointing out the improvement each film contributes to her placement on this list.

The Great Santini (1979) – She plays little sister Mary Anne Meechum, a strong starting role in an important film. This puts her ahead of Jim Gaffigan, with a percentile score already of 14; in other words, if she had done only this film, her career achievement would be greater than 14% of all current working film actors.

Love in a Taxi (1981) – She’s Marian, it’s not great (or even good), but it jumps her ahead of Artie Lange, and she jumps up to 19.

The Cotton Club (1984) – Frances Flegenheimer, her part is tiny. Teensy, even. Still, it counts, and she’s jumped over Craig Kilborn, and she’s up to 20.

The Sure Thing (1985) – She’s Mary Ann Webster, she’s funny, and it’s a great movie, she jumps over Kandhi Alexander, and she’s now at 30.

The Big Easy (1987) – She plays Detective McCabe, she gets a generous number of screen minutes, it’s a very good movie, she’s ahead of Michael Chiklis, and she’s up to 38.

When Harry Met Sally (1989) – She’s Alice, and again, despite the presence of Billy Crystal, it’s a funny movie, she gets a handful of good lines, she moves ahead of DMX, and she’s up to 45.

The Last of the Finest (1990) – She’s Hariett Gross, it’s a small part in one of the 34 movies Brian Dennehy made in the 90’s that should have gone straight to video, but every little bit helps, she jumps over Chris Kattan, and she’s up to 47.

Coneheads (1993) – She plays Lisa Farber, opposite Jason Alexander, who plays her husband, it’s sort of a thankless role, but again, it’s something, she jumps Anthony Geary, and she’s up to 50. With just this set of film roles, she’s now the proud possesor of a film career better than that of half of all the film actors that are currently working. So her self-deprecating thing was way overplayed; she may be finding it tougher to be cast, but she’s got nothing to be ashamed of with this CV. And there’s still more!

Pontiac Moon (1994) – She’s Alicia Fran, a small part in a generic Ted Danson – Mary Steenburgen light romantic comedy, she jumps over Alyson Hannigan (and she didn’t even have to make a crude joke about a musical instrument to do it), and she’s up to 52.

Female Perversions (1996) – She’s Margot, it’s a small role in a film whose marketing campaign is entirely based on tittilation, she jumps over David Hasselhoff, and she’s up to 54.

Now, this system is based on an actor’s ten best roles, and that makes ten, so if any of her later roles top any of these, one of these will drop out, which makes it more difficult to jump up.

An American Rhapsody (2001) replaces The Cotton Club, she plays Patty, she jumps over Ricky Jay, and she settles in (since this is her last noteworthy film role) at 55.92.

Of course, none of this includes her prodigious TV work, and I’ve got to assume that she’s done stage work as well, since she’s been around for such a long time. So goodonya, Lisa Jane Persky, the FOT welcome you to the fold with open arms. Don’t be a stranger.

Ten best roles: 10) Love in a Taxi 9) The Last of the Finest 8) Female Perversions 7) Pontiac Moon 6) Coneheads 5) An American Rhapsody 4) The Sure Thing 3) The Big Easy 2) When Harry Met Sally 1) The Great Santini

Percentile rating: Like I said, 55.92

Peak period: 1989 – 1996

Neighborhood: Bruce Altman, James Cosmos, David Alan Grier, Jonathan Jackson, Ricky Jay, John Kapelos

6 comments »

1. jack says:

Where’d my comment go? Here’s the jist, I hardly remember any of those movies, let alone her. She got extra bonus points for being a FOT, you FOThead.

2. SDC says:

Oh come on, where did the Billy Crystal hate come from?

3. gaughin says:

Well, it wasn’t exactly hatred, but when I saw Mr Saturday Night, it actually made me take back almost all of the earlier times I had laughed at his performances. It was like a laughter black hole, sucking up joy both forwards and backwards in time. But, you know, taste is subjective. Maybe I don’t have any.

4. jack says:

You are not about taste, it’s the numbers

5. I wish you could hear me laugh aloud when I read this (including the comments)! This is the greatest thing ever written about my career, the most fun I’ve ever had reading about myself-really gets my guffaw going. I wish my best friend was still alive to read it. He and I would fall all over ourselves with appreciation of your effort. I’m not kidding. If all actors would judge their careers by this unique mathematical construct, they might plod along with their lives in a much more realistic manner. This really emphasizes the fact that acting is just another job. Dave, you’re the greatest at whatever this is. I mean that. Thanks for including me. BEST SHOW FOR LIFE!

6. gaughin says:

God bless you Lisa Jane. I appreciate that you didn’t just savage me for this silly little project that feeds my OCD requirements.

The greatest thing about this is that my readers (all 4-5 of them) will probably not believe that it’s really you, but that’s OK. You’re FOT royalty, and it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. By the way, I love your pic with the Veronica Lake hairdo (the one still up on your IMDB page), and I expect to see lots more of you on film/TV. DO YOU HEAR ME CASTING DIRECTORS; IF WE DON’T CONTINUE TO SEE LOTS OF LJP, I WILL FIGHT YOU (Go to the 2 hour 26 minute mark of the October 20 episode of this show http://wfmu.org/playlists/TK to find out why you don’t want this.)